caret icon Back to all discussions

MDS Patient August 2023

I was diagnosed with MDS and my worst symptoms are horrible skin itching and burning. I have been reading blogs about this. I would love some suggestions on creme or medications. You name it and I've probably tried it but I am open for any suggestions. Thank you.

1. I had so many secondary issues when I started chemo. The worst were the mouth sores and the skin issues. I went through tubes of cortisone cream like water. I started buying it in large tubes in bulk off Amazon. Even now, in remission, I use hydrocortisone cream almost every day. That, plus for some reason during the summer mosquitoes started to feed on me like I was some sort of mosquito aphrodisiac. I had to get one of the Benadryl sticks and use that for all the itching! That, plus if you are so inclined to taking baths you can use the oatmeal/calamine lotion mix they use to treat chicken pox. It is calming in the worst of situations, but I’m not a big fan of baths so I stuck to just using the calamine lotion on the skin. Hopefully some of what helped me can help you! Just remember, you are not alone, let us know if there’s anything we can do to help from here. Keep on keepin’ on, DPM

1. Thank you Dan for your tips.

1. I too have a lot of skin itching and burning. This may sound like it would be a bad idea, but I had a nutritionist suggest I try apple cider vinegar to control the itching. It's cheap and easy, and it works. I understand that it might not sound so appealing though. What things have you tried? I feel like I have to change things up from time to time.
        Angie (Team Member)

2. Skin sensitivity and breakouts really depend. I've done the fancy doctors and ended up doing my own home remedies. You can rarely go wrong with an oatmeal patch on the skin and let that soak in, then follow up with a nicely hydrated moisturizer. Also when it comes to skin drinking plenty of water is truly the mother nature in resolving some of the dry and itchiness issues. Apple cider vinegar is helpful as well as mentioned, However, be careful with that as it can burn the skin if not applied properly. Wishing you the very best!

Please read our rules before posting.