Tips to Take Your Mind Off Cancer
You have cancer and that’s a tough pill to swallow. Along with that news comes a whole host of emotions, side effects, and loss. It will take time to get used to this new way of life. Just know there are ways to try to feel better.
Self-care is very important
Yes, you have blood cancer, but that doesn’t mean you can’t pamper yourself. You need to make yourself a priority. Life will be hard for a while, but there are ways to make it a little better.
Tips for "one day at a time"
I’ve put together 6 tips that may help you get through a bad day. I’m hoping for more than that for you, but sometimes a day at a time is all we can hope for. Below are the tips. I hope you find one that works for you!
- Clean your house and change your sheets - You will not have the energy for this everyday, but on one of your good days, try to clean. Having a clean house and fresh sheets has always made me feel good. If you are not able to do it yourself, maybe you can hire a cleaning service to come and help. They can get the house looking nice and then you won’t be so burdened with it. If money is an issue, this could be one of the things you say you need when someone asks. You might even be able to get a family member to come over and help. Once you are done, all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the scenery!
- Cooking - Some people really love to cook. My sister is one of those people. It helps some to feel less stressed and they love seeing and enjoying their creations. A few just like to cook for others and see what they’ve made appreciated by their family or friends. If you are this person, then go to the kitchen and cook. You can cook food for dinner, food for company, food to freeze, food for whatever you want. Just take the time to do something you enjoy. When you are done you will be happy that you did. (Just be sure to cook before you take the time to clean - lol)
- Watch a funny movie - Laughter is the best medicine. We all know that, but many of us don’t take the time to just enjoy the funny things around us. There are so many sites you can watch that are amusing, or just rent a comedy! You can even plan for a day at the theater and bring a friend. The most important thing is to laugh - laugh hard & laugh often. Enjoy!
- Go out in the early morning air and just breathe - Some days all it takes is going out in nature and taking in all it has to offer. Mornings are the best. Going out and just breathing in the fresh air first thing in the morning could make your whole day better. Take in some sun and maybe try going for a short walk. It could really make a difference to your day.
- Take a shower - This is a quick way to just feel refreshed. When you’re done, put on some nice comfy clothes or pajamas after and take the time to watch that funny movie and eat some of the food you made before cleaning the house. I bet you will feel like a million bucks! Just a refreshing shower and some comfy clothes can make all the difference. Sometimes washing it all away is what you need to feel great!
- Read a book - It could be funny, romantic, self help, mystery, whatever you like. Reading is a perfect way to take your mind off whatever is troubling you. A good book has the power to do this.
What made you feel good in the past?
Cancer takes so much from us. Whenever we can we need to fight back and try to feel wonderful. I hope one of the tips above helps. Sometimes we forget the little things that made us feel good in the past. Those things may still work. All you have to do is give it a try.
Wishing you healthy and happiness.
Have you met another blood cancer patient?