Tips to Feel Better
Last updated: August 2022
When you are told you have cancer, there are a few things you want to know right away. One of those questions might be, "What can be done to get rid of it?" The next thing typically asked are about treatments and side effects.
What can I do?
One more question that might be asked is, "What can I do to help myself?" If your doctor is like mine, you may have heard that you didn’t do anything to get cancer and there is nothing you can do to get rid of it. My doctor did add that it’s always a good idea to eat healthy foods and exercise, but she didn’t add anything further.
At first, I was overwhelmed with surgery and treatments, but eventually, I did start to research what I could do. I learned a lot about how I could help my body fight cancer and gain some of my energy back.
Luckily, when Crystal got Hodgkin lymphoma, I was able to help her, even if it was just a little bit.
Ideas to help you feel better
Here are a couple of things I learned.
- Drink lots of water - we are made up of nearly 70% water. We need it so all of our bodily functions work properly. It also helps our brain and can keep away headaches. One important thing you should do is check with your doctor. Some people have to limit the amount of water they take in. Luckily, most of us can drink as much as we like.
- Walk daily - walking is another wonderful thing we can do for our bodies. We are meant to move and if we don’t, things can start to seize up. For example, getting out of a chair may be harder and walking into a store may cause breathlessness. Walking helps to eliminate those issues. Walking outside is best. This is because it allows us to enjoy the sun, fresh air, and solitude (or companionship of another walker). It’s also a really good stress reliever.
- Eat lots of fruit and veggies - Of course you know this. Your parents told you since you were young. Even still, do you do it? Vegetables contain lots of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and water. All of these things helps to keep our body running smoothly and helps us to stay energized.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a night - So many people don’t realize how important sleep is. If they have to cut out time from the day, it’s usually from the time they need to sleep. Sleep helps to repair our bodies, cleanses our brains, and helps our body to function normally. People also like us more if we’re well rested rather than groggy and cranky. Sleep also improves our energy level. We need lots of energy to get through the day and try to enjoy it. It may also decrease some of the stress we’re feeling. Wins all the way around!
- Cut way down of salt and sugar - Salt and sugar bloat us up and make us sluggish. Too much of anything is not good and when it comes to sugar and salt, too much can cause disease. Cutting down as much as possible is another good way to help your body run smoothly and to keep your energy level on an even keel.
Remember, you don't have to be perfect, but do the best you can. Working on improving any one, or even all, of these areas will help you to feel good and improve your energy. You already know they’re important, it’s just a matter of doing it. Remember, small steps will get you to your destination.
Wishing you health & happiness.
What blood cancer were you diagnosed with?